25 January 2011

Poll for What to Read in 2011

I'm trying to set some reading goals for this year, and I came up with the idea of reading the complete works of four authors, one per season. So far, I'm thinking Albert Camus, C.S. Lewis, and maybe Plato, or Ray Bradbury. Perhaps Susan Howe, even though I've read a couple of her books for classes.

Do you have any suggestions for which four authors I should choose?

1 comment:

  1. This is an exciting idea. C.S. Lewis and Plato have my full endorsement. I have not read any Camus or Bradbury.

    One would have to read at a steady clip to get through Plato's collected works in three months. Even more so for C.S. Lewis. If I were embarking on a project like this, I might satisfy myself with a subset of the author's complete works. For example, you might decide to skip Lewis' letters and perhaps his literary criticism (though I have heard that The Allegory of Love: A Study of Medieval Tradition is quite good).

    It sounds like you're interested in philosophy and modern lit, so I'll refrain from suggesting Shakespeare and Dickens, two authors that would be in the running for my Dream Year List. I wonder whether you would enjoy G. K. Chesterton? He wrote some fiction and some non-fiction, some drama and some poetry. He's a very entertaining and very thought-provoking author. Also prolific: the major works listed on Chesterton's wikipedia page plus his collected poetry would suffice for three months. This recommendation is a bit of a gamble, as I don't know whether his vigorous, passionate style will suit your taste or not.

    Let us know what you decide!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.