I read
Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich, an old bestseller that was made into a movie,
21. I haven't seen the movie, but the book gave me a slight adrenaline rush as I entered the world of MIT students who beat the system at casinos by using their highly skilled card counting techniques to give themselves a statistical edge in blackjack. Over the course of a few years, the blackjack team raked in millions of dollars, and eventually the casinos caught on and barred them from returning. As a Harvard graduate, Mezrich has social connections with interesting people-- one of his acquaintances was on this blackjack team, and this year he published another book about the inside story of Facebook's origins by interviewing other people he knew. The story is highly entertaining and very well-written. I recommend it enthusiastically, with reservations; read it if you want a vivid picture of the modern equivalent of Babylon.
At the end of the book, there is an essay by the (real-life) main character, describing a basic card counting technique. It sounds simple, but it's no easy feat to track cards accurately through six decks while acting like a drunk novice to deflect suspicion.
When I visited Vegas, the only thing that interested me was taking pictures of the cool chandeliers and slot machines. I would not have done that if I realized how many cameras were tracking my every movement, and that people must have been eyeing me suspiciously until they realized I was just a silly, bored, underage girl-- no threat at all. The city is a twisted Neverland, for those who want to live in an endless frat party.
My dad used to read us stories about students at Caltech who did similar things, with great gusto. We always regarded them as sort of urban legends. I might have to tell him about this book.
ReplyDeleteI originally read the title as "Greeks in Las Vegas," which actually fit with your closing comment about how Las Vegas is "an endless frat party." Is it rather appealing to think of this story as the revenge of the geeks on the greeks??
ReplyDelete