31 August 2009

variety show

On our recent road trip to take my sister to university, I read The Case of the Late Pig, Police at the Funeral, and Tether's End, all Margery Allingham mysteries. The first two were good, but the last one was rather badly written. I'd be somewhat surprised if Allingham actually wrote it, but maybe she was just in a hurry.

Road trips are excellent occasions for doing a lot of reading. I also read Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung, a good, basic, Christian common sense book about making decisions. It's short, simple, and easy to read, so even if you're looking for a quick read, this would be an excellent one. His point is surprisingly basic. Gavin, I think you would find his analysis of modern youth culture interesting after Honors last year. He deals with contemporary college students' propensity for drifting in a refreshingly Biblical way.

Also on the road, I read aloud Dealing with Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede. It's the first in a series of young adult fiction. Charmingly written, full of little witticisms. It pokes loving fun at fairytales. Another good light read (though, of course, much different from DeYoung's book!).

From here on out, it's the Norton Anthology and GRE prep books for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.