20 August 2009
Mystery Mile
Actually, I read this book about a week ago, but then I had to put a moratorium on book reading for awhile so that I could finish some other work. Mystery Mile by Margery Allingham is the second in her series of Albert Campion mysteries. Allingham's mysteries are somewhere on the food chain below Dorothy Sayers but above Agatha Christie, in my opinion. Her detective, Campion, is a hilarious fellow, very colorful, with an even more colorful sidekick, Lugg, who is the requisite manservant. Allingham's dialogue is pure joy to read. I read some online reviews that were less than complimentary of her ability to construct a good mystery plot; nevertheless, her books are excellent light reads. They're set in roughly the same time period as Sayers's mysteries and concern roughly the same social class, but with much less of the Austin-esque social commentary. I plan to read more when I have a chance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds fun. Maybe I should mention Allingham to my family - they enjoyed a few Agatha Christie stories recently.
ReplyDeleteAs for delaying writing a book review by a week - that is nothing compared to my backlog of titles! Hopefully you'll see a few more posts from me over the next few days.